The Unnao rape survivor will not be air-lifted to Delhi to the AIIMS, said the Supreme Court, after it stepped in to take charge of a case that has transgressed beyond all limits of law and order.

The 2017 rape case involved the now-ex BJP MLA Kuldeep Sengar, who allegedly raped the victim when she went to his residence seeking a job. Once the rape survivor pointed out that the accused was from the ruling party, all hell broke loose for her family. Her father was arrested and retained in judicial custody with a false case foisted on him. He was done to death in police custody with the participation of Sengar’s brother and others. The teen made a bid at self-immolation outside Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s residence. Later, a prime witness to her father’s death died under mysterious circumstances.

Later, the case was transferred to the CBI, who filed three charge-sheets against Sengar, who although arrested and jailed, continued to flaunt his influence and power beyond the premises. Security personnel for the victim and family were later suspended, after it was found they were informing Sengar about the victim’s movements.The case never went to trial despite the charge sheets filed by the CBI.

The victim wrote the the Chief Justice of India, Ranjan Gogoi about constant threats to her family’s safety and the the complicity of the police in the case. She expressed her fears about their safety and within days, while travelling with her two aunts and her lawyer, to meet her uncle, lodged in the Raebareli jail on charges of attempted to murder in another case, met with an accident as  a huge truck, with blackened  number plates crashed into the car she was travelling in. Both aunts died instantly. The rape survivor and her lawyer sustained grievous injuries and are admitted in the King George’s Medical University Hospital, Lucknow, where the survivor is still on a ventilator, battling for life.The incident was dismissed as an accident by the Uttar Pradesh police, although a conspiracy plot is not being ruled out.

While the rape survivor and her family have been struggling to get justice these past two years, three members of her family died in the span of a year.  The Supreme Court has stepped in, giving a major jolt to the UP government, and transferred all the five cases to the Tiz Hazari court in Delhi. The apex court has ordered CRPF security for the survivor, her family, as well as the lawyer and his family. The top court ordered the Yogi Adityanath government to pay immediately a compensation of Rs.25 lakh to the family. The crash case is to be completed in a week, or with an extension of another week.The balance four cases are to be completed in 45 days, with hearings on a daily basis. The Supreme Court also orders shifting of the rape survivor’s uncle from the Raebareli jail to Tihar jail.

The Supreme Court then asked it’s secretary-general why the letter from the rape survivor was not put before the CJI as early as possible.The BJP has now expelled the MLA from it’s party after 788 days of inaction. The Supreme Court has stated that at present, the victim will remain in the hospital at Lucknow, as per family’s request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *